Monday, June 30, 2008

Pagan Christianity?

Normally, when I start reading a book such as Frank Viola and George Barna's, Pagan Christianity, published by Tyndale (shame on you Tyndale) with ridiculous claims and riddled with pseudo-scholarship and little too no interaction with the pertinent secondary literature, I stop around the first couple of pages and the book goes straight into the trash can. In such manner was the fate of the humorous attempt by Loraine Boettner's (Roman Catholicism) which has been utterly refuted and exposed as such a hack job that it is an emberassment to serious theological investigation1.

Luckily, all is not smoke and mirrors in the house of Protestantism. The polar opposite of popular junk are professionals with class that have been tried and tested in the scientific, exegetical, peer-reviewed literature. One such shining example is Professor of New Testament Interpretation at Asbury Theological Seminary, Ben Witherington III2. And too make things better, Witherington has reviewed Viola's book at his blogsite - http://benwitherington.blogspot.com/

Apparently, we are to be treated with a multiple-part review. Read the sane and highly balanced critique of professor Witherington closely. Here we have Protestant scholarship at it's very best.

_____________

[End Notes].

1. Cf. the writings of William Webster (a business man by day and Protestant apologist by night) which are a mockery of how to conduct serious exegetical and historical investigations via the primary sources. We expect the same fallacious reasoning and total misrepresentation of the historical sources in Norman Geisler's forthcoming book, (Is Rome the True Church?: A Consideration of the Roman Catholic Claim).
2. I cannot suggest higher the works of Witherington. While I do not agree with all his points - he is a diamond in the rough in comparison to other Protestant scholars. He takes Church history seriously and on it's own grounds.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh. George Barna. I had the great displeasure of enduring a seminar with him as a speaker in LA earlier this year. I don't know anything about Viola but George Barna could co-write a book with Chesterton and it would be bad.

R. E. Aguirre. said...

That bad huh...

~Joseph the Worker said...

I would love to share with you a letter I received today from a Protestant about my Catholicism. I thought when I was a Protestant that my faith was something special (not Protestant), and now I know it was really something special (maybe not in such a good way!). Maybe we can converse via email sometime? Don't want to detract from your studies or your beautiful blog writing though, so don't take it as a must do.

R. E. Aguirre. said...

Sure thing, you can contact me at Omegan6xpg@hotmail.com